Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)


Just came back from the movie. Loved it.

By the way, this is really true. Chauvinist pig.

[This, unfortunately, isn't.]


The new Transformers movie has an ass-ton of robots in it, even though they're more of the blink-and-you'll-miss type. I feel that The Fallen looked cooler in his promo pic (more red and Carnage-y); the Egyptian look threw me off a bit, as it's a bit of a cliché look for something that's been around for a long, LONG time.

One problem I had with the movie was the close-ups in the beginning. I was really looking forward to see the huge-ass robot with the wheel in the beginningDemolishor transform, but couldn't really because of the camera close-ups, but that only happens in the beginning of the movie. The camera-work in the scene with Sam and Mikaela before he goes off to college is annoying. Like, seriously, how many times are you gonna revolve the freakin' camera around the two? We get it, it was a pivotal moment.

I was getting a bit bored (which is weird, because I never get like this with action movies) till the part when we find out that Alice is a Decepticon. That totally turned my interest back on. Also, I would've prefered the fight between Optimus and The Fallen to be longer. A bit disappointed with that, even though the movie isn't short of robot fight scenes.

As expected, the robots look fantastic. Devastator was awesome, by the way, and I loved Jetfire. Surprisingly, I didn't find the Twins annoying. They remind me of Cletus from The Simpsons, plus street slang.

[And, Wikipedia tells me that Skids also lives in a pineapple under the sea.]

There is so, SO much more humor this time around. Some parts are just filler, though, and isn't really necessary; I feel they could've done without those and focussed on other things. Don't expect storyline, they're backseat material when it comes to Transformers 2. Fans of the original animated series will find one part very familiar, though. *wink*
Good performances from the fleshlings all around, especially Ramon Rodriguez.

So far, reviews on Transformers 2 are not good. I wonder what the critic consensus would be if the movie HAD storyline, and compromised by having less transforming robots.

8.5/10. Visuals are simply amazing. Just don't use your brain too much and you'll be fine :)


[Besides, I find Linkin Park's song this time around nicer than the previous one.]

No comments:

Post a Comment