Monday, August 10, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)

*spoilers!*

I christen this movie CRASH BANG BOOM!: THE SEQUEL (check out my review of the first here).

[Rather fitting that the end credits song is Boom Boom Pow, a mediocre song that has now been programmed into my head, due to its overplay on the radio.]

I know that G.I. Joe has been getting rather shiteous reviews, but I enjoyed it. It did look video-gamey at times, but somehow I didn't find it overkill.

I must be getting mellow.

After a weapons transport mission goes wrong, its two surviving soldiers recruit themselves get recruited into the G.I. Joe unit, a subdivision of NATO, to stop the launching of the four warheads intercepted. Said warheads contain nanomites and their killswitches, without which the nanomites will eat anything and everything up, levelling cities in the process. It's a race against time against the villains, as they plan to use the warheads to decimate major cities (only four, though) around the world.

Helmed by Stephen Sommers, director of the first two unshiteous Mummy movies, expect cameos from actors of both movies. The only one missing was Oded Fehr :( But nevertheless, I got a kick out of seeing familiar faces I haven't seen in a while, which is probably one of the reasons why I enjoyed the movie.

[I'd like to think it's guilt on Sommers' part of producing the crappy third flick that didn't involve Egypt. IMM-HOOO-TEPPPP....]

Snake Eyes was AWESOME! He's as bad-ass as everyone says he is, but I would've preferred if his fight with Storm Shadow was longer. Plus, notice that Shadow falls INTO the ice, instead of just lying immobile and dead-like on the floor. My guess is,

HE'LL BE BACK(!!)!

8/10. If you're into summer blockbusters (like I am), it's money’s worth in the theatres (the bigger the screen, the better). Plus, I’m not a Joe fangirl, so I am pretty satisfied with the movie, and can’t bitch about any heresiesliberties taken with the characters.

I did shat a brick, though, so let that be a mild warning ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment