Sunday, February 8, 2009

Got Cthulhu Squid? (Spoiler warning!)

**Warning: All links lead to spoilers. Massive ones.**

I just found out that the ending to the upcoming Watchmen movie may be different than that of the comic book.

[Yes, I understand it is old news, but I have a lot of time on my hands right now.]

Not to spoil too much, I never did like the comic book ending (my favourite character was friggin' KILLED, man!), but despite that, an adaptation is what it is: something closely based on another source. Just like Watchmen is. To change any part of the ending (irrespective of how I felt about it in the first place) would be a major faux pas in my book.

Rumors have been flying all over the Internet that the aforementioned 'squid' in the post's title will not be in the movie. Multiple reports stated that director Zack Snyder have made slight alterations (apparently, only ONE ending was filmed, so the 'multiple endings to trick test-screening viewers' argument is kinda null), but there were no actual 'yes' or 'no' responses.

It really doesn't make sense, though. The guy fought with the studio to get the movie to stay true to the comic book (if I'm not mistaken, they'd wanted to update Watchmen into present times), so why would he change that part of the ending?

Anyway, if you want to see what the purported ending for the movie is, and how it differs from the comic book, you can read the article here.

I thought Snyder did a fantastic job with 300, and I actually loved the additional subplots in the movie. Let's all hope that he doesn't prove Alan Moore right and ruin Watchmen for those of us who've read it, 'cuz the trailers and everything else released thus far look so very faithful to the graphic novel.

UPDATE: Not entirely sure whether this is a confirmation from Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons or not, but it seems that Squiddy will not be in the final cut. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment